Saturday, September 3, 2011

It's Not Always About the Destination

So often I just head to the swamp.  I'm anxious to get there, see what's changed, how it looks at a particular time of day, in certain light.  The past few walks to the swamp, I've allowed myself to look down at my feet and traded the binoculars for the macro lens.








It has almost been a year since we learned of my granddaughter's diagnosis (you can read about that here). She will be celebrating her 2nd birthday in a few weeks and in January she will meet her baby brother.  We just recently learned that he has the same disease as his sister.  While it is sad and we shed tears, I am choosing to focus on the joy that he will bring us.  His sister just brightens each day, each moment, each tiny little thing that she is able to do, that might be imperceptible if I have my eyes only focused on what other toddlers her age are doing.  These two have been woven together perfectly in God's sight and He has given them to my daughter and her husband to love and care for and fight for.  I am so incredibly lucky that they live with me, to refocus my eyes and enjoy every little blessing.

3 comments:

  1. God is in control.That sounds so simple,but I know that you feel this.God will carry Amber and all the rest of the family,including the new baby.My prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is your most beautiful post ever.

    I wrote a post back in 2009 called Far From Normal - not sure if you've read it already - or not. The poem in it (I didn't write the poem) came to mind after reading your post. When I searched for the post in my archives myself this morning and re-read what I'd written I just felt compelled to share it with you. http://yadayadah.blogspot.com/2009/05/far-from-normal.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is you most beautiful post too....you expressed this Gramma's thots too! What an exceptional gift these precious children are. Gods blessings are very real. I love your photos...I love to look at all the different mushrooms and bracket fungi and stuff like that!! Ask Luke about our one extraordinary day of school when we had such fun finding different varieties of mushrooms!! Thanks for this post...Gramma's thoughts expressed sooooo beautifully! <3

    ReplyDelete