Friday, April 9, 2010

New Construction

Seems to be some new construction down at the swamp. Early evening Easter Sunday I was checking on the swamp. The two Heron nests at the far end are occupied. You should be able to click on the pictures for a larger view to see the nests with GBH in them. A pair of Canadian Geese won the turf war and the nest on the rock is now occupied.
I'm hopeful for a successful hatch but not optimistic. The past two years have yielded nothing. The biggest surprise down the swamp is a new Heron nest under construction. I did not have a camera with me on Sunday but I watched as two Great Blue Heron stood in a naked tree in the middle of the swamp. I watched as it took 45 minutes to place one stick. So, when I left Sunday, there were maybe two sticks that had been worked into the tree branch. This was the scene Thursday morning.

2 comments:

  1. wow those are awesome pictures of the heron's in there nest! I love that you can see their skinny legs.
    Looks like your blog is under some new construction too, looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sustainable nature of the construction pictured here :)

    ReplyDelete